18.2.10

i have no excuses

My days have been fairly normal. I believe that it's the main reason that my posting has slowed down a bit. One good thing that comes out of this fairly normal existence is that I've been working out regularly. I think it's going to end up being a regular thing 3-4 times a week. Eating wise, I've been inconsistent. Some days are great while others are catastrophes. Who knows. It might be a good thing in that it might confuse my metabolism a bit when I eat barely anything one day and then eat like a wild boar the next. In my mind, I want to keep things low but I can't seem to keep things that way in reality. For example, today was going well until I found my mom's stash of ice cream.

I can't even blame this solely on my family. I know that I'd find some way to gorge on food even if I lived alone. We don't eat together so there's usually a shortage of food in my house (which causes them to eat out fairly often). I have no excuses.

However, religious people seem to have plenty of excuses not to eat. Lent began yesterday (I gave up candy. Fairly simple. It'll keep me from eating candy at least. I'd fail if I had done something vague like "food"). Today I was talking to a coworker of mine about it and she claimed that she refused to celebrate Lent because she didn't practice "religious ceremonies" or rituals. Or something. I can't say that I understood everything that she was going on about. But the gist of this is that she fasts. Religious fasts. She claimed to have done a liquid fast for 40 days (in the name of the Lord, apparently) and she said that it made her a more disciplined person. In her own words, "I can tell when an individual is fasting at my church. You can tell that they're disciplined. I know a man that fasted for a year. He's really thin. It's as if his body transformed and doesn't need as much as most of us. My pastor's wife is thin and willowy so I can tell that she fasts all the time. She's very disciplined."

So if I claimed that I was fasting for religious purposes, people won't wonder about my weight loss or my lack of food consumption? I guess they're exempt or something.

The 40 day liquid fast does sound interesting though.

2 comments:

  1. Religion is a dangerous thing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm okay, liquid fast, im so down. 40 days...im not too sure. but lets try something. serioulsy.
    what are the rules?

    :)

    .x.x.

    .a.name.

    ReplyDelete